Studierendenwerk Ulm
Show menu
Show search

BAföG + Finances

Bridging Aid und Part-Time Work

Bridging aid

from the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) for students in need

The BMBF is helping students who are demonstrably in acute need because of the corona pandemic with a total of 100 million euros in grants.
The non-repayable grants are awarded by the student unions.

Information on the BMBF's bridging aid

  • The BMBF's bridging aid is intended to help those students who are demonstrably in an acute, pandemic-related emergency and who need immediate help.
  • The bridging aid can be applied for by domestic and foreign students.
  • The use of loans, grants and. Ä. in the reference month does not exclude the receipt of a bridging aid.
  • Depending on the need, between EUR 100 and EUR 500 can be paid as a non-repayable grant.
  • An application can only be made individually for the months of June, July, August and September 2020.
  • The amount of the grant depends on the pandemic-related, individual need. Your account balance on the day before the online application is decisive. If you have EUR 500 or more than EUR 500 permanently in your account, you are not entitled to a grant.


We would like to point out that the Studierendenwerk Ulm had no influence on the structure of the funding and the corresponding application process and only acts as a service provider in the interest of the students.

Applications can only be submitted via an online portal.
Online application here:

The most important questions about bridging help: FAQs for students
BMBF hotline for bridging help: Tel. 0800 26 23 003

Other important information, e.g. "Technical information on how to apply for bridging help online" or "Bridging help: the ten most common questions" can also be found at

For inquiries about bridging help to the Studierendenwerk Ulm, please contact us by email (

Part-Time Work

Students with part-time jobs need to be aware of a few things.

Your work might affect your health care and long-term care insurance or tax liability, depending on the type and duration of the employment. We recommend that you contact your tax office and local health insurance office for further details.

When BAföG recipients exceed certain income limits, their allowance might be reduced. The student finance department can give you further information.
If your income was formalized on an income tax card, it is important that you submit a tax return to the tax office after the end of the financial year. You often get money back!

More info and forms:

Working for the Studierendenwerk Ulm
Are you manually dexterous and have experience with painting? We often seek temporary helpers for paint jobs in our student accommodations for marginal employment/mini jobs ("Geringfügige Beschäftigung"). You will be paid a fixed amount per room. Please contact your janitor for further details and apply with the usual application documents.

Job Agencies

Jobs at the Universities