Studierendenwerk Ulm
Show menu
Show search
de | en




What are the fees used for?

The Studierendenwerk is required according to § 12 Student Services Act (StWG) to cover its costs for social support of the students with the revenue that was generated for these support services, with other proceeds, contributions paid by the students and subsidies from the state government.

The longtime average of the Studierendenwerk fee amounts to about 10 % of the total revenue. It is a solidarity contribution that forms a stable basis for this mixed form of financing and ensures a necessary planning security that doesn't depend on turnover.

The fee is predominantly used for service areas that do not have a matching funding like the psychosocial counseling or legal advice services for students. It also serves to fund replacement and expansion investments at individual university sites whose depreciations are not included in the calculation of food prices, and is furthermore used to subsidize food prices in the Mensa lunchrooms.

As a legal entity the Studierendenwerk can also use the Studierendenwerk fee to finance special services on behalf of the students, for example the semester ticket.

The amount of the Studierendenwerk fee and the conditions for its levy are determined by the administrative board of the Studierendenwerk which passes the respective contribution regulations. The contribution regulations are an administrative act that is binding both for the management and the students.

The amount of the contribution as well as the refund options are determined in the current contribution regulations, which is available for download on the right.


Contribution Regulations effective from 1 March 2024 (German only)
Agreement between Studierendenwerk Ulm and Studierendenwerk Heidelberg regarding HfR Schwetzingen (valid from 1.09.2020)
Contribution regulations
(valid from 1.03.2023)

Semester Contribution Scholarship
Prospective students with low financial funds can apply for the semester contribution scholarship from the winter semester 2017/2018 onward, more information here


The application for a refund of the Studierendenwerk fee must be submitted within specific time periods.

It is sufficient to submit the application without the required documents in order to adhere to the deadline. The documents (e.g. certificate of termination of enrollment), new certificate of enrollment) can be submitted at a later time. Relevant for on-time submission is the date when the application documents are received.